- In 1967 foreign powers, in cahoots with local stooges, used the tanks to overthrow Greek democracy.
- In 2015 foreign powers, in cahoots with local stooges, used the banks to overthrow the Greek government.
- In 1967 democracy’s defenders were in disarray and the prisons, the death squads, and the torturers were working overtime.
- In 2015 none of that is necessary as the oligarchy’s media do all the work on behalf of democracy’s enemies.
- Unlike in 1967, in 2015 there is a democratic force, Syriza, whose political capital remains intact, its standing with the people firmer than ever, and its young leader, Alexis Tsipras, the only legitimate PM.
- On 25th January 2015, the day voters defied Europe’s failed policies to elect Syriza, I wrote that the Greek people stopped going gently into the night.
- For five months, our government raged against the dying of the light.
- We are still at it.
- Only now we are calling upon all Europeans to rage with us so that the flickering light does not dim everywhere, from Athens to Dublin, from Helsinki to Lisbon.